Do you feel like you never have enough time
– are always behind schedule
– and can never get everything done?
As a Life Coach in New York City I’ve gained an encyclopedic knowledge of stress and time management – because everyone is stressed out and no one has enough time!
And I’m here to tell you that the very thing you use to manage your time – your schedule – is the major cause of your stress!
Here are 6 fundamental rules of time management that change the way you think about time – and will transform the way you go about your day
- Don’t overbook. Make a schedule that’s actually possible to do, and you save yourself the stress of trying to do the impossible, and the guilt of not getting it all done. This is not being lazy – it’s being realistic.
- Be flexible. Your schedule isn’t a law you have to obey. You’re in charge of it, not the other way around. Things come up that demand changes. Adapt!
- Always leave space between apppointments. Allow some extra time for the unexpected stuff – the traffic, the late client, the meeting that goes over, the family crisis – that demolishes the most carefully constructed planning.
- Stop checking your watch all the time. A general and insidious tension creator. Looking at your watch every half-second doesn’t change the time – it just makes you crazy.
- Don’t squeeze in extras. Here’s a typical scenario: A cancelled appt. opens up some time and you decide to pick up your laundry. Bad choice. Cramming something extra into a little extra time starts up that OMG-I’m-running-behind-schedule syndrome all over again.
- Take a break! The most important element in overall stress reduction can’t be scheduled. But I promise – one moment to stretch, take a deep breath and let the tension go – is day changer. It doesn’t cost you time – a minute or less is all it takes – it just restores vitality.
It’s mysterious how it happens – but you’ll find that the minute you stop trying to do everything, you have a lot more time to get things done….